Our grants and support for over 35 legal aid nonprofits promote access to justice and remove barriers for people facing poverty, abuse, and discrimination. The organizations we fund provide access to justice for over 400,000 low-income Philadelphians.
The Access to Justice Gap
- Philadelphia has the worst poverty rate of the ten largest U.S. cities.
- Only 1 in 5 low-income individuals and families in Philadelphian receive legal assistance needed for crucial problems affecting their lives.
The Bar Foundation Removes Barriers to Justice
- We are the only foundation in Philadelphia solely dedicated to supporting our city's legal services community, awarding nearly $3 million in grants in the last five years.
- Research shows that every dollar invested in legal aid yields, on average, an $11 benefit for the individual, their family, and the whole community.
Supporting the Full Range of Legal Services
- Over 35 nonprofit legal aid organizations receive annual grants and other support from the Bar Foundation, representing the full range of vital services for people in need.
- Over 60,000 clients per year receive direct services by organizations funded by the Foundation, as well as tens of thousands more who benefit from impact litigation and advocacy.
More than Just Grants
- The Bar Foundation addresses a wide variety of needs in the legal aid sector, including training programs, fellowships, awards, and assistance for technical and operational issues.